The right eyewear should make you feel confident while improving your vision. Everyone is different, so there’s no one-size-fits-all solution to glasses, but with the help of a guide to choosing the best sunglasses or glasses for you, you can find the perfect frames. The first step is to choose a frame style that suits your face shape. Once that’s done, you can focus on the colour of your frames. Here are our top tips for getting it right.
Consider your skin tone
Most people have either warm or cool skin undertones, regardless of race. Look at the veins on the inside of your wrist. If they are bluer in colour you likely have a cooler skin tone, while if they’re green you’re warmer in complexion. Alternatively, consider which colour of jewellery tends to flatter your complexion more between silver and gold. This will indicate what glass frame colours will suit you better.
For example, the Garrett Leight - Hampton Sun frames have a warm metallic finish that perfectly compliments warmer skin tones. Meanwhile the Eyevan - Quincy Sun frames in silver work beautifully against cooler-toned skin.
Consider your hair colour
Your hair colour tends to heavily impact your style - whether it’s a natural shade or one dyed to perfection. See below our tips for choosing glasses frame colours depending on your hair:
Glasses frames for blonde hair
- If you have cool blonde hair such as ash or platinum blonde, opt for grey or dark tortoiseshell frames. Avoid strong yellows or golds.
- If you have warm blonde hair like honey or caramel blonde, choose corals, peach or golden frames to compliment this. Avoid soft pastels or iced tones.
Glasses frames for brunette hair
- If you have cool brunette hair like ash brown or chocolate, choose from bold and contrasting colours including greens, purples and reds. You can also wear black and tortoiseshell tones easily.
- If you have warm brunette hair such as copper brown or chestnut, the most complimentary frames will come in lighter browns or creamy whites.
Glasses for red hair
Redheads can carry off stronger-toned glasses frames with ease, giving an air of power and confidence. Opt for green glasses for a strong contrast or enhance the warmth of your appearance with red-browns or golds. Avoid yellow tones that will undermine your warmer features.
Consider your eye colour
Finally, let’s not forget the framing factor here - your eye colour. Choosing glasses frames that compliment the colour of your eyes can boost confidence and tie an entire look together.
- If you have brown or hazel eyes, choose warm-toned glasses frames in gold, brown or green.
- If you have blue eyes, choose darker tortoiseshell designs, deep browns or glasses with blue undertones.
- If you have green eyes, opt for gold glasses frames or ones in pink/purple tones.
- If you have grey eyes, go bold and choose a vibrant pattern.
Here at The Eye Establishment, our experts can help you select the perfect frames. We have an extensive range of designer brands to choose from, and with some of the best prescription sunglasses on the market, it’s never been easier to find eyewear that accentuates your style and meets your daily vision needs. Browse our website or visit our Kensington opticians to discover some fantastic frames, from optical glasses to the best polarized sunglasses.