Your eyes are the gateway to your world and maintaining good eye health should be a key focus for us all. While some hereditary conditions impacting vision are unavoidable, there are a host of ways you can care for your eyes, just as you do the rest of your body. The Eye Establishment is one of the best opticians in London, providing a wide selection of designer glasses brands and professional support.
However, we are passionate about so much more than reactive measures when it comes to eye health. Our specialist opticians are on hand to give you the secrets to healthy eyes - secrets that we believe everyone should be privy to. Read on to discover how to keep your eyes, and your vision, in prime condition.
Maintain good overall health
Your eye health is intrinsically linked to your overall physical wellbeing. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle wards off accelerated degradation of your vision and helps to prevent the development of specific diseases. We recommend you:
- Eat a diet rich in Omega-3 fatty acids with foods such as oily fish, spinach, kale, peaches and blueberries. These essential nutrients provide structural support within your cellular membrane. Including fish in your diet significantly reduces your risk of developing age-related macular degeneration (AMD) which is the leading cause of blindness in the Western world.
- Exercise and remain physically active. Cardiovascular exercise, such as running, swimming or cycling, improves blood flow throughout the body. In turn, this improves oxygen circulation to the optic nerve and effectively reduces unwanted pressure. Including exercises such as these in your weekly routine can reduce your risk of developing such conditions as glaucoma and ocular hypertension.
- Focus on getting a good night's sleep. The hours we spend in bed are our body’s most restorative. It is during this time that it repairs any damage caused throughout the day and resets bodily functions for the morning ahead. Good quality sleep affords your eyes the moisture and lubrication they need to function fully.
- Avoid smoking. There is extensive research to show that the chemicals in tobacco can increase the risk of developing AMD along with other conditions including cataracts and diabetic retinopathy.
Protect your eyes
Aside from general health, prioritising good eye protection is key. While your eyes rely on natural regeneration to self-repair where possible, preventing injury or damage in the first place allows you to maintain better vision overall. Consider:
- Wearing sunglasses that block out at least 99% of UVA and UVB rays - even during those cloudy days.
- Wearing PPE for eyes during construction work or when playing high-impact sports.
- If you’ve chosen to wear contact lenses, maintain proper hygiene when storing, cleaning and putting them in.
- Book a full eye test every two years (or more regularly if you notice changes in your vision) with a professional optician to ensure your prescriptions are correct. Eye examinations will also flag the early development of any vision-related conditions, allowing you to make necessary changes.
Optimal eye health is something we should all strive for and with the support of our expert team at The Eye Establishment, you can do just that. We pride ourselves on being one of the best opticians in London, providing not only sight exams but also tests to determine the overall health of your eyes. We also have a wide variety of designer glasses and sunglasses that will suit your needs, available in our Kensington Opticians.
If you are looking for the perfect eyewear or the best eye test near me, contact The Eye Establishment today.